“Building The Perfect Koi Pond”
The purpose of this course is to introduce you to the Advantage Koi Pond System. It is an intense, one day power point presentation that will teach you how to build a quality koi pond. It will cover both proper design and basic construction. It is designed for both experienced pond contractors and “do it yourself” builders. The class is limited to only 12 students to keep it personal and to encourage questions.
It will also cover some basic information on koi fish, so that you can better understand why it is necessary to build a koi pond the way we do.
- Why people build koi ponds.
- Why most koi ponds don’t work
- What is required for a Successful Koi Pond
1. How to build a “Successful Koi Pond.”
- Where to start – make sure you know what your customer wants
- Proper shape – keep it simple
- Proper contour – this is where most ponds fail
- Jets – don’t ever build a pond without them / why venturi’s don’t work
- Filter- Different types of filtration -
- Advantage filters / Why they work so well
- Plumbing – how to keep it simple
- Ultraviolet lights – most common mistakes in installing a UV
- Pumps – how to choose and install the right pump
- Digital flow meters
- Bottom drains – why so important / how to install them
- Pond skimmers – don’t build a pond without one – “a better skimmer”
- Bulkhead fittings – a fool-proof way to install them
- The Collector Box pre-filter / Gravity flow systems
- Water falls – common mistakes people make
- Streams – how to build a stream you can easily keep clean
- Lights – why lighting a koi pond is so different than lighting a pool
- Electrical – basic requirements
- Concrete ponds verses Liner ponds
- Building a liner pond
- Building a concrete pond
- Question and answer
2. Koi Fish
- Brief history
- How to select “Quality Koi”
- Koi health – why koi get sick
Course will begin promptly at 8:30am and end at 5:00pm. It will include lunch at a Japanese restaurant along with a pond tour of several successful ponds in the local area ranging in size from 1,500 gallons up to 10,000 gallons. Please call us for our next available bookings. 1-916-652-4231.
Classes are $160.00 per person and include lunch. Additional guests are half price.