Most people would agree that few things add more to an attractive landscape than a beautiful, well built koi pond. The growing popularity of koi ponds today is do to the fact that they add not just beauty to a setting, but also a sense of serenity. The sight of brightly colored koi, gracefully swimming in a clear body of water, coupled with the soothing sound of a gentle waterfall is hard to forget.
The problem is that most people do not realize that building a successful koi pond is much more complicated than they think. Many people start out thinking that to build a koi pond all they need to do is provide a hole in the ground that will hold water for the koi to live in. The reality is that unless the koi pond is well thought out and properly designed, the whole experience can be a real disappointment.
The following 20 questions are designed to help you in planning and designing your new koi pond so that the finished pond will be exactly what you envisioned when you started.
|1. How large should I make my pond?
2. Where should I place my pond?
3. Can I grow plants in my pond?
4. Which pond is better, a rubber liner or a concrete pond?
5. How important is the shape and contour of the pond?
6. How deep should I make the pond?
7. How important is the filter?
8. How far away from my pond can I install my filter system?
9. Do I need a Pre-Filter?
10. What size pump will I need?
|11. What size pipe should I use?
12. How important is it to have a bottom drain?
13. How important is it to have a skimmer?
14. How important is it to have jets?
15. How important is it to have an auto-fill?
16. Do I need to install an ultraviolet light?
17. Should I install under water lights in my pond?
18. Should I install an automatic feeder on my koi pond?
19. How many koi can I put in my pond?
20. What should I look for when selecting someone to build my koi pond?